Summer Solstice marks the beginning of British Summertime on 21 June so in anticipation of some regular rays, Style Director Cecilia Estevez brings you her top tips for beautiful summer hair:
1. The most important thing is to protect hair from UV rays, as it can sunburn too. The best protection is simply to keep hair out of direct sunlight, a perfect excuse to experiment with hats and head scarfs (be bold with colours and prints). Pulling hair back in a bun or chunky plait is also good as it’ll stop ends from being overly exposed.
2. Stop hair from getting too dry. Give it a moisture boost by using a leave in conditioner after your normal shampoo and conditioning routine. We love Bumble & bumble Leave In Conditioner but there are lots of other good ones on the market too.
3. If you’re heading on a beach holiday Leave In conditioner is essential, and after swimming in the ocean make sure you rinse the sea salt out. If you’re prone to tangles, take a deep conditioning treatment/hair mask to indulge your hair with one night, and use a detangling brush like a Tangle Teezer to keep locks knot free.
4. If you’re staying city side but want to recreate that sea swept sexy look, Bumble & bumble Surf Spray is great for achieving that beach texture.
5. Ditch the hairdryer and straightners. Summer is all about having a carefree sensibility so embrace this with your hair. Ditch poker straight hair for gentle waves. If your hair is too stubborn to dry in beautiful natural curls (the majority of us!), put it into loose braids when damp to help it along. When dry, unravel and set with a texturizing spray.
6. Can’t bear to lose the hairdryer? Dry on a lower heat and make sure you use the nozzle for more protection.
Say BYE to dry and brittle straw and HELLO to shiny, healthy hair!